Tuesday, February 9, 2010

In The Zone

So.... I've been transferred!!!!! I knew last Tuesday but I couldn't say anything yet. After serving for over 13 months, 503 days in the mission office, I am now back to being full-time in the field. I am now serving with Elder Sederholm as a Zone Leader over the Singapore Zone and also as a Mandarin Elder. I now have the opportunity to brush up on my Mandarin skills so that I can teach effectively in the language. We have a Zone Leader Council tomorrow, which is why we're emailing today. I've been trying to load up a photo of my last day in the office, but it won't load on this computer, so I'll try next week.

It's pretty surreal, being out of the office. We went in yesterday to report with the Assistants, and it was weird being just a visitor. When I first got into the field, working in the mission office seemed like such an alien experience, working with the mission president and what not. Now, thirteen months have gone by in the office. Where has that time gone? I very much appreciated the time that I had there, the lessons that I learned and the experiences gained. It is something that will definitely help me through the rest of my life.

On one of my last days in the office, President Clark pulled Elder Sederholm and I into the office to talk about the Zone. He meandered off a little, and started talking about how the things we learn and do in the mission are things that we should NEVER give up. He talked about the planning that we do, the scheduling, the teaching, finding people to teach, being an example, continuing to have a clean cut appearance, to be well spoken, to be a missionary in every way for the rest of our lives. It makes perfect sense, at least to me. What a treat a mission is!

During personal study this morning, I came across Matthew 9:36-38, which reads,

But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd.Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few; Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest.

It was good to think about, about how the labourers are few. There used to be over 60,000 missionaries around the world, and now we're down to 52,000 because the bar was raised. How much there is to do, and the responsibility we carry, but also the joy that comes from that.

Well, have to run off. Have a great week!

-Elder Chua

No comments: