Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Angels & Discussions

On the train home yesterday, I struck up a conversation with the lady next to me. We had a good little discussion. She was going over to visit a relative who is dying, which she said was why she was not in a good mood. It was rather awkward, so I tried to talk a little about the plan of salvation. But, she said that as a Buddhist, she took things more one day at a time. As I talked a little about hope, she said that it wasn't in her belief, but more of a fix the problem when it happens. I realized then that I wasn't supposed to be really telling her what I believed, but rather that I had to just listen to her. She talked most of the way to the stop, and she accepted my name card as she got off the train. The conversation got me thinking a little more about what I believe in, about what it means to me. It was interesting, feeling what I felt. I won't describe it, but it was reassuring.

Had another meaningful discussion with a Filipina lady as we were contacting. She was a retired professor of English and was here because her daughter married a Singaporean. However, she expressed her disapproval that her daughter had married a Muslim and given up her Catholic faith. It was interesting to listen to her talk about her upbringing, and her view of learning about other religions. There are a lot of members and missionaries where she lives in the Philippines, but she had never talked to them. I loved that I was able to bear a simple testimony about The Book of Mormon and some of the truths of the restored gospel.

We were walking in a mall a couple of days ago, and had some American yell, right after he walked past us…"Mormons…. Oh my gosh!!!" Just walked on, but it got on my nerves a little. I am learning bit by bit to love ALL men.

Went to the Daynes' for dinner (I home taught them for two years). Had a great meal with them, then shared a message that we came up with on the spot. It was actually interesting to really think about. We talked about how angels heralded the birth of the Savior. The angel Gabriel appeared to Mary and to Zacharias, an angel appeared to Joseph, as did a host of angels to the shepherds watching their flocks. Angels are those who announced the birth of our Savior, who taught of His coming and the wonderful gift that he would provide.

Right now, as members and missionaries of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we too have the divine commission to herald the birth of Jesus Christ, to spread that message of love, peace, joy and hope. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland recently gave an address that I mentioned a few weeks ago entitled "The Divine Companionship." He ended his talk, saying, "Welcome to the work of divinity, welcome to the work of angels." We play our part in teaching the world about the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is interesting to note that in the hierarchy of the Church, each person is in a sense helping each other, in whatever capacity that they might serve, teach the gospel, especially as missionaries.

Rhea is scheduled to be baptized this Saturday! We are so excited for her!

Well, I hope that you are all having an exciting lead up to Christmas this holiday season. Thank you for your support and your love.

-Elder Chua

No comments: