Wednesday, January 7, 2009

"O That I Were An Angel"

Happy New Year!

Well, it's finally the new year! We've had a pretty decent start to the year, nothing too exciting, but just consistency as the work goes on. Unfortunately, Elder Palfreyman and I didn't have too many appointments this week, so we spent a decent amount of time finding, which I really don't like too much, but am trying to develop a love for it.

I had a really great experience with finding this week, that really boosted my confidence in doing that. We were down by Harborfront, a mall, well, right by the harbor. There were a bunch of people sitting around, and, in the midst of them, I saw a pillar.. no.... I saw a young man sitting there playing his PSP. The thing that scared me just a little was that he was bigger than me, buff, along with some tattoos. But, with a little courage mustered from somewhere within me, and a little push by the Spirit, I went up to him and had one of the best finding experiences of my mission. When we first walked up to him, he was pretty surprised, and I thought that he was going to tell us to go away. But, once we have introduced ourselves, he let us sit down, and I started teaching him about the Restoration. This young man's name was Kelvin. He was 19 years old, doing his National Service, and he was married, so that was definitely a surprise. Anyhow, he's a Catholic, but was willing to listen to our message. At the end of it, I set up a return appointment with him, left a pamphlet with him and was about to leave when he asked me if I had anything else that he could read, so I pulled out a Plan of Salvation pamphlet and explained that. He then went on to ask if I had anything else for him. So, I ran over to Elder Palfreyman and got a copy of The Book of Mormon for him to read. We haven't been able to meet with him since, so we'll be continuing to pray for that!

Had a great first Sunday in the new ward I'm serving in. When I introduced myself and told them that I was from Singapore, they didn't believe me! It didn't help that the Assistants convinced the members that I was from the States, and Micronesia. Anyhow, we did have a wonderful appointment last night with a member's sister. We were really able to make progress, because we both realized that we could speak Mandarin. She';s from Myanmar, but learned Mandarin in school. I was able to bear my testimony, and teach in Mandarin. Normally, I'm horrible at it. But, as I bore my testimony of the truths of the gospel, and of the atonement of Jesus Christ, the words flowed from my mouth. It was a wonderful experience.

Lastly, Elder Palfreyman and I had been having a conversation about The Book of Mormon. Before my mission, I had read from parts of it, but generally found it pretty boring. But, as I have really read and pondered on its words, I have found the beauty of its language, and I have learned much from it. Most of all, I have gained a firm and solid testimony that it truly is the word of the Lord, that it testifies of Jesus Christ just as much as the Bible does, and that it is revealed scripture for us in these last days. It's words have inspired me, and one from my favorite scriptures come from Alma 29:1-3, where the prophet Alma talks about his angelic zeal for missionary work, the zeal that I hope to have.

"O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people! Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth. But behold, I am a man, and do sin in my wish; for I ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me."

Here's a photo of Elder Palfreyman and me in front of our chapel. Have a wonderful week, love you all!


No comments: