Wednesday, December 10, 2008

"All Things Are For Your Sakes"

Hi Everyone,

Well, it's been a pretty rough week, but I'm just doing my best to work though it. Spent my last day resting at home on Monday. Over the last week, we haven't been doing much except going to the doctor's, and going to a few appointments. Definitely feeling better now, but just working through some problems right now. I've been on exchanges with Elder Colvin for the past day, so we've been able to discuss ways that we can help our area, and my companionship with Elder Wright, to grow.

Unfortunately, my dear companion has lost all desire to work, so I'm working with mission leaders to try and figure what to do. He is a good person, but unfortunately has lost sight of his goal, and so, we are working together to find a solution. First of all, I've been given the counsel to change myself in such a way where I can help the companionship. I can try my best to change my companion, but the only real changes can come if I sacrifice my comforts and serve my companion. It really is one of the hardest things that I've had to do in my life. It seems that no matter how physically hard something is, there is a point where you can stop. But, with emotional and spiritual heartache, it takes a lot more out of a person. I just wish sometimes that it wasn't so hard. There have been times this week when I've just wanted to quit. I broke down for a bit yesterday, but there's only so much that I can do. I believe that what I've come to realize through and personal reflection that I have to somehow put my trust completely in the Lord, and not in the arm of flesh. I'm just trying to work on that day by day.

Sometime this week, I was reading from the scriptures and a little quote book of the late President Hinckley, and I came across a scripture that has really helped me, which is found in 2 Corinthians 4:15-18, which reads:

"For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God. For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal."

It is comforting to know that our mortal trials are but a preparation for the joy of eternal life. But, I must say that the trails don't get easier. I suppose that I feel comforted knowing that there is a reason for all these things happening, that I can grow and learn from these experiences. Elder Colvin gave a wonderful district training based on President Monson's talk from the last General Conference, To Learn, To Do, To Be. President Monson talked about how we all need to be held accountable for all we do, and so, with the Lord as our guide, we need to learn what we need to learn, take it to doing what we need to do, and finally, to be what we need to be. Over the course of the six months in the mission field, I have been able to, in a way, see the person who I want to be. Of course, that's going to take a lot of learning and doing, to make many sacrifices, to try and give up my human weaknesses and turn to the Lord who can help me become strong. What I've learned, I hope, is that everything that happens in the mission field happens for a reason, every transfer, every experience is helping to mold and shape me into the person whom the Lord wants me to be. I just pray that I can in some measure mold into that kind of person. What Elder Colvin had us do was to write down some of our problems, because we can only change ourselves. We wrote down how we could preliminarily fix the problem, then read through the talk, and through each section, and used the advice and counsel there to write down a final solution. It really did help, and the best part is that we can use it in our lives, for school, for work, for relationships. I think that I'm going to get a "problem book" specially for this :)

We have a live nativity going on this week, where people go to different rooms and view different scenes relating to Christ's birth. I'll be a sheperd for one of the night, and sing in a quartet the other two nights, so that is something that I am definitely looking forward to.

Anyhow, I'm just trying to push onward, and do my best. I would appreciate if you would keep me in your prayers, thanks so much.

By the way, in regard to the hints about packages, I hope that I haven't offended anyone with that. It was a half joke/half sure, why not? I really don't expect any of those, though a Christmas card would be nice. It's been mentioned a couple times to me that my posts seem a little self-righteous or rude and time. I do hope that I haven't offended or hurt any one's feelings. If I have, I do apologize.

The Christmas season is supposed to be a time for joy, hope, and love. It hasn't been too easy doing that, but I'm just trying to get into the Spirit of it, day be day. Gosh, sometimes it is so hard and I wish I could just give up, and say, "I'm done." Some of the missionaries aren't too friendly at times too, but I know that we're all human, and forgiveness is required of all.

We have Zone Conference next week, though we're not sure if it's on Thursday or Friday yet, so I'll be writing on one of those two days instead of the usual Wednesday.

Well, I hope that I haven't put too many of you in a cankerous mood this week. Thanks so much for your love and support. Have a wonderful week, take care and God bless!

No comments: